POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open source software is always stable : Re: Open source software is always stable Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:23:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open source software is always stable
From: Warp
Date: 17 Oct 2009 19:29:51
Message: <4ada536f@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran <gil### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> In other situations, the OSS model of development does not shine so
> brightly, when it shines at all. That's IMHO, but I just tried to find OSS
> replacements for several costly proprietary software and the results were
> not convincing, to say the least (see also Andrew's post).

  I did not touch the subject of *quality* in my post, nor do I in any way
claim that OSS would be in part with the best commercial software in many
fields.

  There is, however, another advantage I can think of: With OSS you not only
can "try before you buy", but you can skip the latter part of that altogether.
So it's not like you are losing something by trying OSS (except perhaps a bit
of time).

--
                                                          - Warp